Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 6

Every Saturday for, minimally, the last four years, it's been a ritual to get up (late) and make pancakes.  Those were the times that I would turn on the TV and watch my HGTV (or other recorded program) until I was finished with all the batches.  I usually was done around noon.  Today was different.  By 8:45 the entire family was out of the house.  And by 1 pm when we returned, I realized how much had been accomplished.  I was amazed at the fact that any other Saturday I would have just begun eating my breakfast (it would be the kids' lunch).

What's amazing to me is that this continues to be an August of change.  I'm not suggesting that 'having no TV' caused us to rise early and leave the home (music lessons were usually on Saturday mornings); I am saying however, that once we got home, having no TV to sap our energy, having no TV to distract us, having no TV to infringe on our interests had a impact on some part of our day.

My husband and I are working on a collective project together.  My kids made their very first movie (I have no idea what it's about, even after sitting throught it, but the joy it gives them to sit and watch it is well worth the confusion).  And I continue to think of alternate (usually creative) ways to spend what little "down time" I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment