Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 2

It's easy to fall into familiar patterns. Yesterday, late afternoon, I felt like turning on the TV and folding clothes. By that time, after being home all day with four kids who are yelling, arguing, tattling, crying, pushing each other, spilling things, wanting to get into everything, I feel a need to reach out to something adult. And sometimes the most adult I can get is Judge Judy, Judge Mathis, or the designers from HGTV. But I fought my desires, and decided to do something constructive. I decided to make it writing time. I wrote and completed a children's story and I edited my novel.

Today, without watching TV (or the crutch of a DVD or movie) I must admit I had the best workout I've had in awhile. I didn't realize how many times I paused to watch something exciting on screen, or stopped to laugh, or took time out to rewind because I missed a scene. My workouts also tended to be longer--yet less productive--because I wanted to see the show through.

If I'm being honest though, I never did get to the laundry and I didn't straighten up because, again, that's usually done to the background sounds of adults on TV.

Today's goal: clean up and fold clothes in silence (or I guess, to the sounds of kids screaming).

Hmmm. Let's see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment